Welcome to the first issue of Cagibi’s literary journal! Let this letter be your guide, or skip to the table of contents below.
It’s the Issue 1 of Cagibi we’ve hoped for and have been planning for years over dinners, cocktails, backgammon boards, and pool tables. Cagibi’s future is bright. Keep following, and reading. We plan to knock your socks off.
With great pleasure, we feature poetry from Matt Pasca and Terri Muuss, to whom we were introduced in 2017. Pasca and Muuss are a literary power couple based in New York, and together are writers, performers, teachers, and more—also, husband and wife, and parents. Their poems, here and elsewhere, are some of the fiercest and most vulnerable that we’ve ever seen.
Also featured: a story by Elena Georgiou, an excerpt from her forthcoming collection, The Immigrant’s Refrigerator. Georgiou, originally from London, is now based in Vermont and directs the MFA creative writing program at Goddard College. She’s the author of two previous books of poetry. As the author Aimee Lu writes, “Elena Georgiou’s exquisite collection could not be more timely. At a moment when America’s political response to The Other is triggering a national crisis of conscience, these poignant stories remind us of the vital role that human compassion plays in bridging ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic divides.”
We couldn’t agree more. Compassion is more necessary than ever.
Many of our contributors happen to be born abroad or happen to live abroad from their country of origin. At times we found a piece from abroad to be edgier, more raw, or more challenging to grasp. We feel strongly that these voices are worth hearing. These voices and experiences accompany our own on this planet, our planet, blessed with so much and yet at risk and vulnerable like never before. The world is calling us. The world is calling on us. Are we hearing these voices?
- The Evolution of Beauty (book excerpt) - by Elena Georgiou, from her forthcoming story collection, The Immigrant’s Refrigerator
- Featured Poetry: Four Poems from Terri Muuss - I Admit That While You Are Gone // Los Barrios // Poem Found in an Email from a Colleague // Flight To Albuquerque
- Featured Poetry: Four Poems from Matt Pasca - In the Cemetery of Defense Mechanisms // Pedestal // Of Fish and Smoke // On Being (Reminded)
- Burning Bridges, Breaking Hearts - by Kate McQuestion
- Penned In - by Gail Wallace Bozzano
- Lecture #2: Guests at the Hotel des Bains - by Seth Rogoff
- Goodnight My Angel - by Y. Marcos
- Eight Legs - by Riva Riley
- Regrets @ 21 - by Jamie Stedmond
- Subtle Foes - by Nedjelko Spaich
- My Life with Fonts - by Klancy de Nevers
- How I Am - by DW McKinney
- Día de Los Gatos (a Bedtime Story) - by Marisol Cortez
- My Redneck Umbra - by Jackson Lassiter
- In Translation: Two Poems from Ximena Gómez - Last Day // Último día | Thursday // Jueves
- Marco Polo, 1969 - by Lisa Fountain
- Orison for the Dead at Deir ez-Zor - by Madison Semarjian
- So, In the Beginning - by Carly T. Flynn
- Vagina - by Akachi Obijiaku
- Classical Mechanics of Materialism - by Alexis Petri
- Red Delicious Apple - by Juan Chemes
- Poem For All That Is Wrong - by Rob Cook
- Milan - by Amie Sharp
- Wintry Liberation - by Suzanne Cottrell