Underwater we are weightless, defying gravity. The rest of the world will hush and blur as light disperses and time slows to a standstill. Suspended, submerged, you are safe inside this watery cocoon, released from your history and everything you used to be. Ripples undulate as beads of breath drift upward to the distant surface: echoes of your solitary descent. Sink deep into the blue abyss, then go even deeper.
Falling doesn’t have to be painful. Falling can mean a fearless plunge into unknown depths, a dreamy escape through liminal space, a chance to sever ties with the patterns of the past. In this summer issue of Cagibi, let us fall together into chilling bay waters, Venusian oceans, cyberspace rabbit holes, and the limitless expanse of alternate realities. Let us be children again, adrift in imagination and what could be. Let us embody the mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, doctors and survivors, maestros and artists who have shaped our lives. Let us stare at the moon and wake early to contemplate the human condition. Let time and space suspend. I’ll see you down there.
- In Search of Venusian Oceans - by Matthew Tavares
- Two Poems by Carolyn Oliver - Estuary // Serenade
- Honestly, - by Martha Silano
- In Translation: Comfort // Komfort - by Georg Amsel, trans. Lake Angela
- I Think of Moons - by Juan Pablo Mobili
- mothers and time - by Tanya Tuzeo
- Two Poems by Charlotte Friedman - Channeling Grace Hartigan // Waking Early
- I didn’t know I wanted to be right until I was wrong - by Mari Pack
- In Translation: Bedfellows // Posłanie - by Katarzyna Szaulińska, trans. Mark Tardi
- Bay Waters - by Marie Biondolillo
- Pull - by Linda Barnhart
- Eyes From the Wild Sky - by Benjamin Page
- Become the Rabbit Hole - by Daniel Olivieri
- A Plane Lands in Hawaii - by Alexandria Searls
- Thank You, Maestro - by Darren Chase
- How to Keep Time - by Jeffrey Barbieri
- Stuff I Have Done to Try to Stop my Alcoholic Husband from Drinking, Not Ordered for Chronology or Efficacy - by Mary Birnbaum
Adam Courtney, photographer
Sparkman Clark, model
Features from Cagibi Express
- Postcard From Vancouver (Wednesday, August 30, 2023) - by Siavash Saadlou
- Good Little Ohs (Wednesday, August 23, 2023) - by Angela Townsend
- Postcard from Athens: Letter to a Thief (Tuesday, August 15, 2023) - by Vimla Sriram
More features are forthcoming.
ISSN 2643-3273. Copyright © Cagibi Literary LLC.
CAGIBI publishes four digital issues a year. Submissions are open, and editors are reading.